Author Question: What is the maximum area for this question? (Quadratics)? (Read 1885 times)

Sandstorm

So i got this math question, and I have a lousy teacher, so I don't know exactly how to find the maximum area for this question.
Question:
A farmer has a 200m of fencing material to enclose a rectangular feild adjacent to a river. No fencing is required along the river.
The image has a rectangle with the widths (smaller sides of rectangle) labeled with 'w' and the length is 200-w. The function I came up with is a=200w-2w^2. I did graph it on the calculator. Vertex is (50, 5000). X-intercepts are (0,0) and (100,0). Y intercept is (0,0).
That is all I can get from what I have self-learned and I still need to find the maximum area of the field and the dimensions of it.
If possible, please explain each step so that I can learn it. :)
Heres a picture of the diagram if my description didn't make sense:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cntoig&s=6

Hawke

l = 200 - 2w

A = w * l
A = w * (200 - 2w)
A = 2 * (100w - w^2)
A = -2 * (w^2 - 100w)
A = -2 * (w^2 - 2 * 50w + 50^2 - 50^2)
A = -2 * (w - 50)^2 + 2 * 50^2
A = -2 * (w - 50)^2 + 2 * 2500
A = 5000 - 2 * (w - 50)^2

The vertex is at (50 , 5000)

w = 50
A = 5000
l = 100

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Malaria mortality rates are falling. Increased malaria prevention and control measures have greatly improved these rates. Since 2000, malaria mortality rates have fallen globally by 60% among all age groups, and by 65% among children under age 5.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library