Author Question: Solving quadratics using vertex form/root form? (Read 1672 times)

Jones

I've been trying really hard to figure out these for Precalc, but I just don't understand. How do I solve this quadratic using vertex form?

4x^2 + 149 = 28x

and this one, using root form?

3x + 8 + 16/3x = 0

thanks so much!
never mind the root form bit. apparently, that's just basic factoring.

Sandstorm

You find the vertex of a quadratic function by completing the square.

4x^2 - 28x + 149 = y
4(x^2 - 7x) = y - 149
x^2 - 7x = (1 / 4)(y - 149)
x^2 - 7x + (7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 149 + 49)
= (1 / 4)(y - 100)
(x - 7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 100)

That's the vertex form of the equation, giving vertex (7 / 2, 100).

With y = 0, it gives:
x - 7 / 2 = +/- 5i
x = 7 / 2 +/- 5i.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library