Author Question: Solving quadratics using vertex form/root form? (Read 1666 times)

Jones

I've been trying really hard to figure out these for Precalc, but I just don't understand. How do I solve this quadratic using vertex form?

4x^2 + 149 = 28x

and this one, using root form?

3x + 8 + 16/3x = 0

thanks so much!
never mind the root form bit. apparently, that's just basic factoring.

Sandstorm

You find the vertex of a quadratic function by completing the square.

4x^2 - 28x + 149 = y
4(x^2 - 7x) = y - 149
x^2 - 7x = (1 / 4)(y - 149)
x^2 - 7x + (7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 149 + 49)
= (1 / 4)(y - 100)
(x - 7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 100)

That's the vertex form of the equation, giving vertex (7 / 2, 100).

With y = 0, it gives:
x - 7 / 2 = +/- 5i
x = 7 / 2 +/- 5i.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library