Author Question: Solving quadratics using vertex form/root form? (Read 1665 times)

Jones

I've been trying really hard to figure out these for Precalc, but I just don't understand. How do I solve this quadratic using vertex form?

4x^2 + 149 = 28x

and this one, using root form?

3x + 8 + 16/3x = 0

thanks so much!
never mind the root form bit. apparently, that's just basic factoring.

Sandstorm

You find the vertex of a quadratic function by completing the square.

4x^2 - 28x + 149 = y
4(x^2 - 7x) = y - 149
x^2 - 7x = (1 / 4)(y - 149)
x^2 - 7x + (7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 149 + 49)
= (1 / 4)(y - 100)
(x - 7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 100)

That's the vertex form of the equation, giving vertex (7 / 2, 100).

With y = 0, it gives:
x - 7 / 2 = +/- 5i
x = 7 / 2 +/- 5i.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library