This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse administers potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) tablets to a patient who has been exposed to ... (Read 20 times)

darbym82

The nurse administers potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) tablets to a patient who has been exposed to radiation from a nuclear weapon. What is the rationale for administering potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) to this patient?

1. It was administered to prevent thyroid cancer.
  2. It was administered to prevent brain cancer.
  3. It was administered to prevent liver cancer.
  4. It was administered to prevent renal cancer.

Question 2

The nurse conducts a seminar in a local community center on how Americans can be affected by radiation from a nuclear attack. The nurse determines that the education is effective when the patients make which statement?

1. I can protect myself from cancers by taking potassium iodide (ThyroSafe).
  2. I need to stay inside my house for at least 2 days after the attack to be safe.
  3. I need to take at least four showers every day or I will develop skin ulcers.
  4. I am at risk to develop leukemia as a result of radiation exposure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vseab

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) can prevent up to 100 of the radioactive iodine from entering the thyroid gland. Potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) will not protect the liver, the kidneys, or the brain from the effects of radioactive iodine.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Leukemia is one of the long-term effects of radiation. Radiation will not dissipate in 2 days. Showers will not always protect the skin. Potassium iodide (ThyroSafe) will only protect against thyroid cancer.

darbym82

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

vseab

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library