Author Question: What is the valence shell and number of valence electrons for Lead? (Read 776 times)

ricki

I think the valence electrons is 4 and the shell is 6 but I'm not 100% sure if that s right. If it is can someone explain to me why? It would really help me for a big test tomorrow.

mia

Yes you are absolutely right.

First of all, it's shell 6 because lead, Pb 82 is located on the 6th row.

It has a valence electron of 4 because if you count from left to right, it happens to be the forth one.

Note: transition metals (columns 3-12) are often skipped because they are unpredictable.

So skipping the transition metals, start out with
Cs, 55  -----> 1 VE
Ba, 56  -----> 2 VE
Ti, 81   -----> 3 VE
Pb, 82  -----> 4 VE

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library