Author Question: How to work out the area of a sector when i don't have the radius? (Read 1601 times)

TI

i have to find the area of a sector but i have been given only the angle(40degrees) and the arc length(18cm) how do i work it out? I suck at rearranging the formula so i would appreciate if you could show me. thnx

formula1

To find the Area of Circle Sector: (with central angle theta)>if the angle theta is in degrees, then area = (theta/360) PI r2>if the angle theta is in radians, then area = (theta/2) r2

good luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

sadsdas

You know the circumference of a circle is pi times twice the radius.

There are 360 degrees in a circle.

So 40/360 = 18/circumference.

Circumference = 162

Therefore, radius = 81/pi

Area of the circle = pi (81/pi)^2 = 6561/pi

So the area of the sector = (6561/pi) * (40/360) = 729/pi

Which is approximately 232 square centimeters.

xclash

There are 360 degrees in a circle so 40 degrees has to by 40/360 or 1/0 the actual size of the circle:

Perimeter = 2 * pi * r
18cm = 2 * 1/9 * pi * r
r = 81 / pi

area = pi * r^2
area = pi * (81 / pi)^2 * 40/360

sadsdas

to get the radius there is a rule that says r=lenght of arc/angle in rad
so u got convert the 40 degrees into rad 40*pie/180 =2/9pie(rad) ,pie=3.14
so the r=length of arc 18cm divided by 2/9pie = 25.78cm !

so area = 1/2 L*R
              1/2 18 *25.78=232

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library