Author Question: Is there any tricks to knowing which gas law or gas equation to use when you are reading a chemistry word prob? (Read 1341 times)

clippers!

I don't understand, when I'm reading a chemistry word problem, which formula I'm supposed to use.  I think I have the equations down if I know which equation to plug the numbers into.  I have a quiz tomorrow and we just finished up the chapter yesterday.  Any suggestions.  Anything would be appreciated.  Thanks

curlz

I think it's good to just remember: PV = nRT

so if the # of moles is constant and you know that R is the ideal gas constant then simply rearranging the equation algebraically gives:

PV/T = constant

and if any of the properties are not given in your word problem, then you can simply take it out of the equation and continue with the properties you are given.

For example, if a question only involves P and V, then your equation of interest will be PV = constant & if a question involves V and T, then ur eqn becomes: V/T = constant etc

Goodluck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

remember PV = nRT

then remember this...

1) whatever is constant, move to the right.  the rest move to the left....
2) make 2 conditions 1 and 2.. and make the variable part of the equations =... like this..

PV = nRT..
if V is constant and n is constant (which is usually the case) and R is constant. then...

P/T = nR/V.... the right side is all constants...
P1 /T1 = nR/V
P2 / T2 = nR/V
so
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2  
same for P, n and R being constants...

PV = nRT
V / T = nR/P
V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

etc...

alternately, and this is what I recommend... R is always constant... so

PV = nRT
PV / nT = R...
ie...

(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2).... if you remember this equation and you cancel out whatever is constant, you should have no problems.  ok?  and fyi, the easy way to remember this equation is... PV = nRT.... PV/nT = R = constant...P1V1/n1T1 = ...

so memorize...

PV = nRT and
(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2)....

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library