This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is considering the need for both effective means of communication and safety when caring ... (Read 40 times)

codyclark

The nurse is considering the need for both effective means of communication and safety when caring for a patient with impulse control issues and poor social skills. Which nursing intervention is most appropriate to address these needs?

a. Reminding the patient with each interaction what space boundaries are consid-ered safe and desired
  b. Asking the patient to describe and set space boundaries that feel safe and facili-tate effective communication
  c. Clearly setting space boundaries for the patient so both patient and staff feel safe and can communicate more effectively
  d. Discussing the need for space boundaries and how they help both the patient and the staff feel safe and aide in communicating effectively

Question 2

A patient expresses a sense of genuineness in the nurse providing care when sharing with family members that:

a. I believe the nurse can feel what I'm feeling.
  b. I always know what the nurse expects of me; the explanations are always clear.
  c. I can tell the nurse is sincere because the face supports what the mouth is say-ing.
  d. I may not always like what the nurse has to say but I can always depend on what I'm told.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Meganchabluk

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Space as a concept of boundaries and safety is important to understand because the nurse and the patient need to respect the distance that each needs. For successful communication to occur, both parties need to feel safe. Some patients have problems with their boundaries and invade other patients' own safe zones; patients who perceive this as threatening react aggres-sively to such boundary violations. The nurse may need to help the patient understand the need for appropriate distances in order for everyone to feel safe and to communicate effec-tively. Reminding the patient of what the boundaries are without first discussing the im-portance of space boundaries is not an effective technique. Having the patient set the bound-aries does not take into consideration the needs of others, whereas staff setting the bounda-ries without patient involvement ignores the needs of the patient and prevents the patient from understanding of the situation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Genuineness is demonstrated by congruence between verbal and nonverbal behavior. Empa-thy is seeing things from the patient's viewpoint. Clearly stating expectations is a characteris-tic of clarity. Trustworthiness can be described as dependability.

codyclark

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

flexer1n1

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library