Author Question: Is it possible to find the velocity of a projectile given a point on the path and the angle of projection? (Read 701 times)

hummingbird

This one's been puzzling me for quite some time now. I've been given a point on the projectile's path as (140,6) and I know the angle is 55°, but that's all I have. I also know that at t=0, the height is 1m, if that helps.

Jones

that's not much info, but i guess that's the problem you're dealing with =]

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

well, you just use the equation of trajectory and you will know the speed directly. the equation is:
y=(tanA*x)-[(g*x*x*)/(u*u*cosA*cosA*2)] where x and y are the co-ordinates and A is the angle of projection. you can easily derive this equation using simple equations of motion.

ricki

For the vertical direction we have:

y(t) = y(0) + v_y(0) t - 1/2 g t^2

For the horizontal direction:

x(t) = x(0) + v_x(0) t

This second equation implies:

t = ( x(t) - x(0) ) / v_x(0) .

Substituting that in the first gives the trajectory, y(x), which is the parabola :

y(x) = y(0) + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  ( x - x(0) ) - 1/2 g / (v_x(0)^2)  (x-x(0))^2

Now x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 1:

y = 1 + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  x  - g/(2 v_x(0)^2)  x^2 .

Differentiating wrt time gives:

v_y = v_y(0)   v_x / v_x(0) - g/( v_x(0))  x  

If we substitude (x,y) = (140,6) in these equations, we have two equations with four unknowns (initial and final velocity components). But we also know
 v_y/v_x = tan(55),
and from energy conservation
 1/2 m v^2 = 1/2 m v(0)^2 + m g (y-1)

So in principle it can be solved, as there are four equations with four unknowns.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library