Author Question: The initial velocity of a projectile is 40m/s. The y component of the velocity is 50% of the initial velocity.? (Read 949 times)

j_sun

I am currently enrolled in an online Physical Science course and this is one of my homework problems; I have not been able to find the answer anywhere online or in the book. Please help!

The initial velocity of a projectile is 40m/s. The y component of the velocity is 50% of the initial velocity. What is the hang time for this projectile?

A.) 20s
B.) 4s
C.) 2s
D.) 10s

Thanks!

coco

hello,

If your vertical component of velocity is 50% of 40 m/s then it is 20 m/s

And the vertical velocity at the peak is zero

v = u + at

v = zero

u = - at

t = - v/a

t = -20 m/s / 10 m/s^2

t = 2 sec.

But this is only the time to the peak, the total time of flight is double this

T = 2t = 4 sec

Good Luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library