This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is interviewing Jessica, 18 years old, about her eating behaviors. Jessica's parents have ... (Read 156 times)

theo

The nurse is interviewing Jessica, 18 years old, about her eating behaviors. Jessica's parents have brought her to treatment because her mother suspects that Jessica has been binge eating and vomiting.

The nurse asks Jessica if she ever feels that she cannot control her eating. Jessica is silent for a moment, and her mother states, I know she can't control it; she ate an entire cake last night Which of the following comments by the nurse is best?
  A) I see. Jessica, why did you feel like you have to eat so much?
  B) Do you often have to answer for your daughter?
  C) Jessica, is what your mother said true?
  D) I see. Jessica, do you ever feel as though you cannot control your eating?

Question 2

During a therapy session, a client with anorexia tells the nurse, I measured my thighs today. They are a quarter-inch larger than they were yesterday. I feel like a pig; I'm so fat.

Which of the following potential responses by the nurse is most therapeutic?
  A) I don't think you are fat.
  B) Has something occurred that caused you to measure your thighs?
  C) You are exactly the right weight for your height.
  D) You have always been very focused on your thighs. Is that the part of your body you like least?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SomethingSomething

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Parents in enmeshed families frequently try to protect their children by speaking for them, as in She feels happy most of the time. Members are not accustomed to identifying and expressing their own feelings and need frequent prompting from the nurse. The nurse encourages members to speak for themselves and not for one another.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The nurse helps the client recognize the influence of maladaptive thoughts and identify situations and events that cause concern about physical appearance and weight. In discussing these situations, the nurse and client can begin to identify anxiety-provoking events and develop strategies for managing such situations without resorting to self-damaging behaviors.

theo

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

Jossy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library