This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Why is pulmonary surfactant such an important biologic substance? a. It clears out cellular ... (Read 26 times)

xroflmao

Why is pulmonary surfactant such an important biologic substance?

a. It clears out cellular debris.
  b. It is an alveolar macrophage.
  c. It promotes lung contraction aiding exha-lation.
  d. It promotes lung stability.

Question 2

Which type of lung cells secretes pulmonary surfactant?

a. Alveolar macrophages
  b. Type I cells (pneumocytes)
  c. Type II pneumocytes
  d. Type III pneumocytes

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vish98

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Surfactant functions to reduce the surface tension of the alveolus, which results in shedding wa-ter from the alveolar surface; helps to prevent alveolar surface tension-driven collapse; improves lung compliance; and reduces the work of breathing.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Type II cells do not function as gas-exchange membranes like the type I cells. They manufacture surfactant, store it in vesicles called lamellated bodies, and secrete it onto the alveolar surface.

xroflmao

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Wow, this really help

alexanderhamilton

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library