Author Question: During a group therapy session, a newly admitted patient suddenly says to the nurse, How old are ... (Read 44 times)

Zulu123

During a group therapy session, a newly admitted patient suddenly says to the nurse, How old are you? You seem too young to be leading a group.. The most appropriate response the nurse might make is:

a. I am wondering what leads you to ask. Could you tell me more, please?
  b. I am old enough to be a nurse, so that would make me in my 20s at least..
  c. My age is not pertinent to why we are here and should not really concern you..
  d. You are wondering whether I have enough experience to lead this group..

Question 2

An 11-year-old child stays home from school to care for his siblings while his mother works, is demeaned by his father, and has negative self-perceptions. Which indicator would suggest that nursing interventions are succeeding?

a. The child attends school regularly.
  b. The child is observed playing calmly.
  c. The father rarely speaks during nurse visits.
  d. The mother corrects negative comments by the child.

moormoney

Answer to Question 1

D
A question such as this is common in the initial phase of group development when the members are getting to know one another, dealing with trust issues, and testing the leader. Making explicit the implied serves to role-model more effective communication and prompts further discussion of the patient's concern. Asking the patient to tell the leader more about the question focuses on the reason for the member's concern rather than on the issue raised (the experience and ability of the leader) and is a less helpful response. I am old enough to be a nurse and age is not pertinent are somewhat defensive responses and are not therapeutic because neither addresses the patient's valid concern.

Answer to Question 2

A
Of the available choices, returning to school would be the most direct and reliable indicator that the desired progress is occurring. Calm play by the child and silence by the father indicate changes in family dynamics, but data are insufficient to support interpreting these as being positive changes. The mother is intervening to help the child, but it is not clear that the child's self-esteem is improving.