This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has peripheral vascular disease. What statement by the patient indicates a need for ... (Read 20 times)

misspop

A patient has peripheral vascular disease. What statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will have the podiatrist cut my toenails.
  b. I will be sure to wear sturdy shoes.
  c. I can only walk limited distances now.
  d. I will report any injury to my foot or leg.

Question 2

An older patient in the internal medicine clinic reports usually being able to walk 1 mile without complaint

However, in the past 2 weeks, after walking just mile, the patient's legs begin to ache. The pain goes away with rest. What action by the nurse is most appropriate?
  a. Elevate the patient's legs
  b. Assess the pedal pulses
  c. Take the patient's blood pressure
  d. Measure the patient for TED hose

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcabuhat

Answer to Question 1

C
Patients with venous insufficiency are encouraged to begin a graduated exercise program. The other statements show good understanding.

Answer to Question 2

B
This patient has intermittent claudication, a sign of peripheral arterial disease. The nurse assesses the patient's pedal pulses. Elevation will further compromise circulation and should be avoided. A blood pressure reading is taken during all health care visits. The patient does not need TED hose at this point.

misspop

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library