Author Question: How to work out the area of a sector when i don't have the radius? (Read 1609 times)

TI

i have to find the area of a sector but i have been given only the angle(40degrees) and the arc length(18cm) how do i work it out? I suck at rearranging the formula so i would appreciate if you could show me. thnx

formula1

To find the Area of Circle Sector: (with central angle theta)>if the angle theta is in degrees, then area = (theta/360) PI r2>if the angle theta is in radians, then area = (theta/2) r2

good luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

sadsdas

You know the circumference of a circle is pi times twice the radius.

There are 360 degrees in a circle.

So 40/360 = 18/circumference.

Circumference = 162

Therefore, radius = 81/pi

Area of the circle = pi (81/pi)^2 = 6561/pi

So the area of the sector = (6561/pi) * (40/360) = 729/pi

Which is approximately 232 square centimeters.

xclash

There are 360 degrees in a circle so 40 degrees has to by 40/360 or 1/0 the actual size of the circle:

Perimeter = 2 * pi * r
18cm = 2 * 1/9 * pi * r
r = 81 / pi

area = pi * r^2
area = pi * (81 / pi)^2 * 40/360

sadsdas

to get the radius there is a rule that says r=lenght of arc/angle in rad
so u got convert the 40 degrees into rad 40*pie/180 =2/9pie(rad) ,pie=3.14
so the r=length of arc 18cm divided by 2/9pie = 25.78cm !

so area = 1/2 L*R
              1/2 18 *25.78=232

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library