Author Question: How would you solve this mathematical problem? (Read 1347 times)

aero

Solve by using the quadratic formula. Give your answers in simplest radical form. Give both real and imaginary roots.

4/z = 3z/z-3

I have a lot of problems that are just like the one about but I just don't know how to go about solving them.

go.lag

4/z = 0
No solution

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

You need to use the quadratic formula, so you need to get a quadratic function out of what you're given.

4 = 3z^2/(z-3)

4(z-3) = 3z^2

4z-12=3z^2

Then rearrange by subtracting 4z and adding 12, which leaves you:

3z^2-4z+12=0

Then plug into the quadratic formula, with 3=a, -4=b, and 12=c.

I included a link for the quadratic formula in case you don't know it.

Best of luck! :D

ricki

If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = (3z/z)-3} = 3-3 = 0 then no solution.
If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = 3z/(z-3) then  z = 0.66 +/-j1.89  where j^2 = -1

I believe you mean by:
4/z = 3z/(z-3) instead of  4/z = 3z/z-3
If so, then
work;
4/z = 3z/(z-3) or
3z^2 -4z+12 = 0
comparing to the eq. ax^2+bx+c or x = {-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac} / 2a.  we get:
z = {4 +/-sqrt(16-144)} / 6
= {4 +/-sqrt(-128)}/6 = 4/6 +/-(j11.31)/6....:where j^2 = -1
z = 0.66 +/-j1.89

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library