Author Question: Last year, XYZ Insurance Company had a combined ratio of 102.4 and lost 10.2 million on the ... (Read 37 times)

meagbuch

Last year, XYZ Insurance Company had a combined ratio of 102.4 and lost 10.2 million on the insurance that it sold.

The company, however, was required to pay income taxes. The best explanation for this apparent contradiction is that XYZ offset its underwriting loss with
  A) increased loss reserves.
  B) investment income.
  C) increased loss adjustment expenses.
  D) unearned premiums.

Question 2

Which of the following statements regarding terrorism insurance is (are) true? I. There is a federal backstop if terrorism claims are catastrophic. II. Private insurers market terrorism insurance.

A) I only
  B) II only
  C) both I and II
  D) neither I nor II

Jmfn03

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jmfn03

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library