This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A very long wire lies in a plane with a short wire segment. The long wire carries current I, while ... (Read 456 times)

Chelseaamend

A very long wire lies in a plane with a short wire segment. The long wire carries current I, while the short wire of length L carries current i. The two wires are parallel to each other. Which of the following statements are true?

A. The direction of the magnetic force exerted by the long wire on the short wire is directed away from the long wire.
   B. The magnitude of the force on the short wire is 0IiL/2d.
   C. The long wire experiences a force of exactly the same magnitude as the force experienced by the short wire.

1.A only
  2.B only
  3.C only
  4.A and B
  5.A and C
  6.B and C
  7.A, B, and C
  8.None of them are true

Question 2

Consider a long thin straight wire with a current I. Which of the following statements about the magnetic field lines is true?

A. Field lines are parallel to the wire.
   B. Field lines are perpendicular to the wire.
   C. Field lines are directed radially away from the wire.
   D. Field lines are circles centered on any point on the wire.

1.A only
  2.B only
  3.C only
  4.D only
  5.A and C only
  6.B and D only
  7.B and C only
  8.None of them is true.