Author Question: How do I sketch the graph of the derivative of a function? (Read 1321 times)

aero

I'm having a hard time sketching the graphs of the derivatives of unknown functions. I can't do it if I'm looking at just a graph of some unknown function. Can someone please explain in a clear way how to approximate and sketch the graph of the derivative?

Jones

From the original graph, the maxiumim and minimum points are where the derivative crosses the x-axis

Then, from the original function, wherever there is a POSITIVE gradient, the line is ABOVE the x-axis

And inversely, wherever there is a NEGATIVE gradient, the line is BELOW the x-axis.

This video explains it more detail

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Millan

So, the first thing you want to do is graph the points where it crosses the x-axis. This is going to be where the slope of the original equals zero (this makes sense right, because derivative is just slope and the slope = zero there). This is at the extrema (max and min). Then, you estimate the slopes of the other parts of the graph using the average slope formula ( f(b) - f(a) ) divided by (b - a), where b and a are x-values that you chose to approximate slope for. Sketch in a nice fit ^_^

A good way to check to see that you did it right is to look at what type of function the derivative graph is (linear, quadratic, etc.). It should always be of degree ONE LESS than the original, meaning the highest power is one less than that of the original function. Hope this helps!

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library