Author Question: How to find the derivative of trig functions? (Read 1259 times)

camila

How would you find the derivative of sin(x), i know the answer but I don't know how you would derive the answer. I don't want it worked out the whole way but if you could just tell me the steps I need to take that would be great.
And are the other trig functions derived the same way?
Thanks!

TI

(1) You want to find the limit of the following expression (E) as h -->0:

E = [sin(x + h) - sin(x)]/h

(2) For this, expand sin(x + h) to obtain:

sin(x + h) = sin(x)cos(h) + cos(x)sin(h)

(3) Now, as h -->0, cos(h) -->1 and sin(h) -->h

so... as h --> 0

(4) E --> [sin(x) + h cos(x) - sin(x)]/h = h cos(x)/h = cos(x)

Hence, the derivative of sin(x) = cos(x)

-----------------------------------------
The derivatives of other basic trig functions can be derived

the same way.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

camila

GOLD :D Thanks so much!!

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library