Author Question: What is the valence shell and number of valence electrons for Lead? (Read 773 times)

ricki

I think the valence electrons is 4 and the shell is 6 but I'm not 100% sure if that s right. If it is can someone explain to me why? It would really help me for a big test tomorrow.

mia

Yes you are absolutely right.

First of all, it's shell 6 because lead, Pb 82 is located on the 6th row.

It has a valence electron of 4 because if you count from left to right, it happens to be the forth one.

Note: transition metals (columns 3-12) are often skipped because they are unpredictable.

So skipping the transition metals, start out with
Cs, 55  -----> 1 VE
Ba, 56  -----> 2 VE
Ti, 81   -----> 3 VE
Pb, 82  -----> 4 VE

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library