Author Question: A nurse is giving discharge instructions to a client recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease ... (Read 27 times)

magmichele12

A nurse is giving discharge instructions to a client recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD). Which statements made by the client indicate a correct understanding of the teaching? (Select all that apply.)

a. I can continue to take antacids to relieve heartburn.
  b. I need to ask for an antibiotic when scheduling a dental appointment.
  c. I'll need to check my blood sugar often to prevent hypoglycemia.
  d. The dose of my pain medication may have to be adjusted.
  e. I should watch for bleeding when taking my anticoagulants.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client with diabetes mellitus how to prevent or delay chronic kidney disease (CKD). Which client statements indicate a lack of understanding of the teaching? (Select all that apply.)

a. I need to decrease sodium, cholesterol, and protein in my diet.
  b. My weight should be maintained at a body mass index of 30.
  c. Smoking should be stopped as soon as I possibly can.
  d. I can continue to take an aspirin every 4 to 8 hours for my pain.
  e. I really only need to drink a couple of glasses of water each day.

Carissamariew

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B, C, D, E
In discharge teaching, the nurse must emphasize that the client needs to have an antibiotic prophylactically before dental procedures to prevent infection. There may be a need for dose reduction in medications if the kidney is not excreting them properly (antacids with magnesium, antibiotics, antidiabetic drugs, insulin, opioids, and anticoagulants).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, D, E
Weight should be maintained at a body mass index (BMI) of 22 to 25. A BMI of 30 indicates obesity. The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin should be limited to the lowest time at the lowest dose due to interference with kidney blood flow. The client should drink at least 2 liters of water daily. Diet adjustments should be made by restricting sodium, cholesterol, and protein. Smoking causes constriction of blood vessels and decreases kidney perfusion, so the client should stop smoking.