Author Question: A nurse assesses a client who has had two episodes of bacterial cystitis in the last 6 months. Which ... (Read 84 times)

clippers!

A nurse assesses a client who has had two episodes of bacterial cystitis in the last 6 months. Which questions should the nurse ask? (Select all that apply.)

a. How much water do you drink every day?
  b. Do you take estrogen replacement therapy?
  c. Does anyone in your family have a history of cystitis?
  d. Are you on steroids or other immune-suppressing drugs?
  e. Do you drink grapefruit juice or orange juice daily?

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client with urinary incontinence. The client states, I am so embarrassed. My bladder leaks like a young child's bladder. How should the nurse respond?

a. I understand how you feel. I would be mortified.
  b. Incontinence pads will minimize leaks in public.
  c. I can teach you strategies to help control your incontinence.
  d. More women experience incontinence than you might think.

vseab

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, D
Fluid intake, estrogen levels, and immune suppression all can increase the chance of recurrent cystitis. Family history is usually insignificant, and cranberry juice, not grapefruit or orange juice, has been found to increase the acidic pH and reduce the risk for bacterial cystitis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The nurse should accept and acknowledge the client's concerns, and assist the client to learn techniques that will allow control of urinary incontinence. The nurse should not diminish the client's concerns with the use of pads or stating statistics about the occurrence of incontinence.