This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is taking warfarin (Coumadin) and asks the nurse if taking St. John's wort is acceptable. ... (Read 106 times)

ss2343

A client is taking warfarin (Coumadin) and asks the nurse if taking St. John's wort is acceptable. What response by the nurse is best?

a. No, it may interfere with the warfarin.
  b. There isn't any information about that.
  c. Why would you want to take that?
  d. Yes, it is a good supplement for you.

Question 2

An older client with peripheral vascular disease (PVD) is explaining the daily foot care regimen to the family practice clinic nurse. What statement by the client may indicate a barrier to proper foot care?

a. I nearly always wear comfy sweatpants and house shoes.
  b. I'm glad I get energy assistance so my house isn't so cold.
  c. My daughter makes sure I have plenty of lotion for my feet.
  d. My hands shake when I try to do things requiring coordination.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nyrave

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Many foods and drugs interfere with warfarin, St. John's wort being one of them. The nurse should advise the client against taking it. The other answers are not accurate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Clients with PVD need to pay special attention to their feet. Toenails need to be kept short and cut straight across. The client whose hands shake may cause injury when trimming toenails. The nurse should refer this client to a podiatrist. Comfy sweatpants and house shoes are generally loose and not restrictive, which is important for clients with PVD. Keeping the house at a comfortable temperature makes it less likely the client will use alternative heat sources, such as heating pads, to stay warm. The client should keep the feet moist and soft with lotion.

ss2343

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

yeungji

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library