This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client whose wife died in a recent mass casualty accident. The client says, ... (Read 122 times)

j.rubin

A nurse is caring for a client whose wife died in a recent mass casualty accident. The client says, I can't believe that my wife is gone and I am left to raise my children all by myself. How should the nurse respond?

a. Please accept my sympathies for your loss.
  b. I can call the hospital chaplain if you wish.
  c. You sound anxious about being a single parent.
  d. At least your children still have you in their lives.

Question 2

The hospital administration arranges for critical incident stress debriefing for the staff after a mass casualty incident. Which statement by the debriefing team leader is most appropriate for this situation?

a. You are free to express your feelings; whatever is said here stays here.
  b. Let's evaluate what went wrong and develop policies for future incidents.
  c. This session is only for nursing and medical staff, not for ancillary personnel.
  d. Let's pass around the written policy compliance form for everyone.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jliusyl

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Therapeutic communication includes active listening and honesty. This statement demonstrates that the nurse recognizes the client's distress and has provided an opening for discussion. Extending sympathy and offering to call the chaplain do not give the client the opportunity to discuss feelings. Stating that the children still have one parent discounts the client's feelings and situation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Strict confidentiality during stress debriefing is essential so that staff members can feel comfortable sharing their feelings, which should be accepted unconditionally. Brainstorming improvements and discussing policies would occur during an administrative review. Any employee present during a mass casualty situation is eligible for critical incident stress management services.

j.rubin

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

mochi09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library