Author Question: A pregnant client is diagnosed with cervical insufficiency. How should the nurse expect this client ... (Read 30 times)

mp14

A pregnant client is diagnosed with cervical insufficiency. How should the nurse expect this client to explain symptoms of this condition?

1. I've been having contractions every 4 hours.
  2. I'm not having any pain and I do not feel any contractions.
  3. My cervical pain has gotten much worse over the past 2 days.
  4. I'm not having any pain, but my contractions are getting stronger.

Question 2

The clinical instructor reviews postoperative care of cerclage with a group of nursing students. Which student statement indicates the need for further information?

1. Sometimes cerclage can be performed on an outclient basis.
  2. If cerclage is performed emergently, the client will usually be hospitalized for at least 5 days.
  3. After 37 weeks' gestation, the client's cerclage may be cut in order to allow for vaginal delivery.
  4. If the client's amniotic sac is bulging, the cerclage is contraindicated and the procedure cannot be performed.

kxciann

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Contractions are not associated with cervical insufficiency.
2. Cervical insufficiency is painless dilatation of the cervix without contractions due to a structural or functional defect of the cervix.
3. Cervical pain is not a manifestation of cervical insufficiency.
4. Contractions are not associated with cervical insufficiency.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. An uncomplicated elective cerclage may be done as an outclient.
2. An emergency cerclage requires hospitalization for 5 to 7 days or longer.
3. After 37 completed weeks' gestation, the suture may be cut and vaginal birth permitted, or the suture may be left in place and a cesarean birth performed.
4. Decompression of a bulging amniotic sac is not a contraindication to cerclage; rather, the amniotic sac must be decompressed immediately before the procedure.