Author Question: The 69-year-old patient laughs at the nurse when the nurse suggests that she should have a Pap smear ... (Read 37 times)

09madisonrousseau09

The 69-year-old patient laughs at the nurse when the nurse suggests that she should have a Pap smear and says, I had my uterus removed except for the cervix 30 years ago and I am almost 70.

Why in the world would I want to get a Pap smear at my age? What is the nurse's most informative reply?
  a.
  All persons who have a cervix remaining should be screened up to the age of 75.
  b.
  Well, you have one more year to go to get a Pap smear.
  c.
  My goodness, you look so young I thought you were still in the age bracket for regular Pap screens.
  d.
  You are right. If you had no trouble so far, there is no need to do the smear.

Question 2

When should postmenopausal women be instructed to perform breast self-examination (BSE)?

a. On the same date of their choice each month
  b. Every 3 months
  c. Every day, because they are at high risk for breast cancer
  d. Whenever they begin to take estrogen supplements

pangili4

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Persons who have a hysterectomy without the removal of the cervix should continue to be screened at least until the age of 70.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
More than 90 of breast cancers are detected by the patient. BSE for postmenopausal women should be done on the same day of the month each month.