Author Question: While ventilating a neonate with a jet ventilator, the therapist needs to change the patient's ... (Read 19 times)

aabwk4

While ventilating a neonate with a jet ventilator, the therapist needs to change the patient's effective alveolar ventilation. Which of the following ventilator settings does the therapist need to adjust to alter the neonate's VA? I. decrease the inspiratory time II. increase the drive pressure III. increase the applied PEEP IV. increase the respiratory frequency

IV. increase the respiratory frequency
  A. I, III only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Question 2

While ventilating an adult with an HFOV, the therapist would like to increase the mean airway pressure in an attempt to improve the patient's Pao2. What should the therapist do to increase the mean airway pressure in this situation? I. decrease the respiratory rate II. decrease the bias flow III. increase the inspiratory time IV. decrease the orifice of the outflow resistor

A. I, II only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

ecox1012

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: To increase the effective alveolar volume while ventilating a neonate with a jet ventilator, the therapist needs to increase either (1) the drive pressure, (2), increase in the inspiratory time, or (3) increase the respiratory rate.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: To change the mean airway pressure during the delivery of HFOV, the therapist can (1) increase the bias flow, (2) alter the setting on the outflow resistor, and (3) increase the inspiratory time.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.