Author Question: The instructor tells a student nurse, You have functioned at a substandard level of clinical ... (Read 17 times)

yoooooman

The instructor tells a student nurse, You have functioned at a substandard level of clinical performance recently. Now you have a chance to redeem yourself. I'm assigning you to a complex nursing situation.

I expect you to function without asking for assistance. The most appropriate response from the student nurse would be

a. I'll try my best, but I will need someone on staff to answer my questions.
  b. Is this your way of asking for my resignation from the program?
  c. I cannot accept the assignment. Complex nursing situations are beyond my abilities.
  d. You'd better remember that if anything goes wrong, the hospital will hold you responsible.

Question 2

How should an LPN/LVN explain the term accountability to a student nurse?

a. Accountability is the transfer of responsibility for wrong actions.
  b. Accountability is shared responsibility with the physician for wrongdoing.
  c. Accountability is assuming personal responsibility for one's nursing actions.
  d. Accountability is giving up responsibility when the situation dictates.

Ksanderson1296

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The student nurse is obligated to refuse an assignment that is clearly beyond the scope of his or her abilities rather than jeopardize patient safety. Placing a student in a complex nursing situation without access to supervision is totally inappropriate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Accountability means that one is answerable for one's actions. The other options do not correctly reflect the meaning of accountability.