Author Question: A patient with an eating disorder states, I heard people laughing behind me in the check-out line at ... (Read 27 times)

burchfield96

A patient with an eating disorder states, I heard people laughing behind me in the check-out line at the department store. I bet they thought it was funny that I gained a pound in the last few days..

The patient is exhibiting which cognitive distortion related to maladaptive eating regulation responses? a. Magnification
  b. Personalization
  c. Overgeneralization
  d. Dichotomous thinking

Question 2

A patient visiting from Puerto Rico has become psychotic while staying with family here in the United States. When conducting the mental status examination, the nurse remembers that:

a. sociocultural factors may greatly affect the examination.
  b. liking the patient as a person is important to the outcome.
  c. an interpreter may help facilitate the verbal portion of the examination.
  d. biological expressions of psychiatric illness are not relevant to someone from another culture.

dajones82

Answer to Question 1

B
Personalization is an egocentric interpretation of impersonal events or overinterpretation of events related to the self.

Answer to Question 2

A
Dress, eye contact, personal hygiene, speech and use of language, personal space, and body language are a few aspects of the mental status examination that vary with culture and social status.