Author Question: Suicide attempts by ____ are more successful because one out of every two attempts results in death. ... (Read 34 times)

jc611

Suicide attempts by ____ are more successful because one out of every two attempts results in death.

a. Adolescents
  b. Older adults
  c. Young adults
  d. Middle-aged adults

Question 2

A patient who has been depressed for the past several months presents in the clinic stating, I'm at the end of my rope.. Which of the following inquiries would be most effective to use for assessing suicide risk?

a. You seem very depressed and stressed. What is that like for you? What sort of feelings are you having when you say that?
  b. Tell me more about what you mean when you say you're at the end of your ropeare you thinking about killing yourself?
  c. Tell me about your family history. Do you have relatives or ancestors who suffered from depression?
  d. Tell me about your depression and being at the end of your rope; what are you thinking and feeling?

raenoj

Answer to Question 1

B
The incidence of successful suicides increases with age because of the fact that older adults are less likely than persons of all other age-groups to communicate their intentions to others.

Answer to Question 2

B
Although broad openings are valuable for eliciting information about a patient's concerns, when the nurse is seeking information about suicide risk, it is important to be candid, specific, and direct. This candidness shows you are concerned and is likely to elicit a more candid response from the patient. Similarly, the more specific the question, the more specific the answer.