Author Question: The first step in crisis intervention is to achieve contact. When initiating contact with a client ... (Read 48 times)

bclement10

The first step in crisis intervention is to achieve contact. When initiating contact with a client after a crisis, the nurse should not:

1. Collect information regarding health conditions.
  2. Provide for emotional and physical safety of client.
  3. Discuss the nurse's personal experiences with crises.
  4. Identify feelings, reactions, and perceptions of client.

Question 2

Which statement by a client would suggest that the ABCs of crisis counseling have been met?

1. I am really glad we did this counseling.
  2. I will call you if I need you.
  3. I now know some better ways of coping.
  4. I will miss working with you.

wtf444

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Relating personal information takes the focus off the client and is not relevant to the needs of the client. The other interventions are therapeutic, appropriately reflecting the tasks and interactions in the nursing role.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The ABCs of counseling include achieving contact, boiling down the problem, and coping with the problem. The client understands that coping is important when experiencing a crisis. The other statements are examples of social communication.