This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements made by a client diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder ... (Read 21 times)

jCorn1234

Which of the following statements made by a client diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) leads the nurse to believe the client is experiencing dissociative symptoms?

A) It's like I'm having flashbacks every time I fall asleep.
  B) I describe my feelings like I'm having an out-of-body experience.
  C) Loud noises always make me a little jittery now.
  D) I feel guilty that I survived the attack and my friend didn't.

Question 2

In posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which of the following signs/symptoms could be classified as intrusive? Select all that apply.

A) When the client reexperiences a traumatic image
  B) No longer dream during REM sleep
  C) Have feelings that the event is reoccurring
  D) Complain of excessive sleeping, usually 12 hours or more per day
  E) Feel like they are suspended in outer space and cannot find their way home

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Amiracle

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Dissociation is a disruption in the normally occurring linkages among subjective awareness, feelings, thoughts, behavior, and memories. A person who dissociates is making him- or herself disappear. That is, the person has the feeling of leaving his or her body and observing what happens to him or her from a distance. During trauma, dissociation enables a person to observe the event while experiencing no or only limited pain and to protect him- or herself from awareness of the full impact of the traumatic event. Flashbacks are common with PTSD; loud noises associated with the trauma cause flashbacks. Guilt is common for survivors.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A, C
Intrusive thoughts often are associated with cues that symbolize or resemble the original event. Sometimes the traumatic images, thoughts, or perceptions are reexperienced. Nightmares are common. Intrusive symptoms also include dissociative reactions (e.g., feeling or acting as if the event is reoccurring). Sleeping is difficult. Terrifying flashbacks and nightmares often include fragments of traumatic events exactly as they happened.

jCorn1234

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

bigsis44

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library