This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is interacting with patients in a psychiatric unit. Which statements reflect use of ... (Read 22 times)

jrubin

A nurse is interacting with patients in a psychiatric unit. Which statements reflect use of therapeutic communication? Select all that apply.

a. Tell me more about that situation.
  b. Let's talk about something else.
  c. I notice you are pacing a lot.
  d. I'll stay with you a while.
  e. Why did you do that?

Question 2

The adult child of a patient diagnosed with major depression asks, Do you think depression and physical illness are connected? Since my father's death, my mother has had shingles and the flu, but she's usually not one who gets sick.

Which answer by the nurse best reflects current knowledge about psychoneuroimmunolo gy?

a. It is probably a coincidence. Emotions and physical responses travel on different tracts of the nervous system.
  b. You may be paying more attention to your mother since your father died and noticing more things such as minor illnesses.
  c. So far, research on emotions or stress and becoming ill more easily is unclear. We do not know for sure if there is a link.
  d. Negative emotions and stress may interfere with the body's ability to protect itself and can increase the likelihood of infection.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jgranad15

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C, D
The correct responses demonstrate use of the therapeutic techniques making an observation and showing empathy. The incorrect responses demonstrate changing the subject and probing, which are non-therapeutic techniques.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The correct answer best explains the research. Research supports a link between negative emotions and/or prolonged stress and impaired immune system functioning. Activation of the immune system sends proinflammatory cytokines to the brain, and the brain in turn releases its own cytokines that signal the central nervous system to initiate myriad responses to stress. Prolonged stress suppresses the immune system and lowers resistance to infections. Although the adult child may be more aware of issues involving the mother, the pattern of illnesses described may be an increase from the mother's baseline.

jrubin

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

tkempin

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library