This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A mother who has a history of chronic heroin use has lost custody of her children due to abuse and ... (Read 25 times)

burchfield96

A mother who has a history of chronic heroin use has lost custody of her children due to abuse and neglect. She has been admitted to an inpatient drug rehabilitation program.

Which client statement should a nurse associate with a positive prognosis for this client?

A. I'm not going to use heroin ever again. I know I've got the willpower to do it this time.
  B. I cannot control my use of heroin. It's stronger than I am.
  C. I'm going to get all my children back. They need their mother.
  D. Once I deal with my childhood physical abuse, recovery should be easy.

Question 2

Upon admission for symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, a client states, I haven't eaten in 3 days. Assessment reveals BP 170/100 mm Hg, P 110, R 28, and T 97F (36C) with dry skin, dry mucous membranes, and poor skin turgor.

What should be the priority nursing diagnosis?

A. Knowledge deficit
  B. Fluid volume excess
  C. Imbalanced nutrition: less than body requirements
  D. Ineffective individual coping

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

javimendoza7

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A positive prognosis is more likely when a client admits that he or she is addicted to a substance and has a loss of control. One of the first steps in the 12-step model for treatment is for the client to admit powerlessness over the substance.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The nurse should assess that the priority nursing diagnosis is imbalanced nutrition: less than body requirements. The client is exhibiting signs and symptoms of malnutrition as well as alcohol withdrawal. The nurse should consult a dietitian, restrict sodium intake to minimize fluid retention, and provide small, frequent feedings of nonirritating foods.

burchfield96

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

ebonylittles

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library