Author Question: A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. ... (Read 434 times)

jlmhmf

A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. What therapeutic communication would help this patient?

A.
  Ask for what you need
  B.
  Silence
  C.
  Using general leads
  D.
  Giving information

Question 2

Linda is pacing the floor and appears extremely anxious. The day shift nurse approaches Linda in an attempt to lessen her anxiety. The most therapeutic statement by the nurse would be:

A.
  How about watching a football game?
  B.
  Tell me how you are feeling today.
  C.
  What do you have to be upset about now?
  D.
  Ignore the client.

aloop

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Giving information can increase rapport, reduce patient anxiety, and suggest patient collaboration.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
To keep open communication with the patient, the nurse should ask open-ended questions.