Author Question: A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. ... (Read 430 times)

jlmhmf

A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. What therapeutic communication would help this patient?

A.
  Ask for what you need
  B.
  Silence
  C.
  Using general leads
  D.
  Giving information

Question 2

Linda is pacing the floor and appears extremely anxious. The day shift nurse approaches Linda in an attempt to lessen her anxiety. The most therapeutic statement by the nurse would be:

A.
  How about watching a football game?
  B.
  Tell me how you are feeling today.
  C.
  What do you have to be upset about now?
  D.
  Ignore the client.

aloop

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Giving information can increase rapport, reduce patient anxiety, and suggest patient collaboration.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
To keep open communication with the patient, the nurse should ask open-ended questions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library