This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The 70-year-old client with terminal lung cancer tells the nurse, I am dying because I sinned by ... (Read 33 times)

ashley

The 70-year-old client with terminal lung cancer tells the nurse, I am dying because I sinned by smoking cigarettes.. What is the nurse's best response to this dying client?

1. You are correct, but it is too late to do anything about it now..
   2. When you started smoking cigarettes, we didn't know about the problems they cause. It is not your fault..
   3. Why don't we call the hospital chaplain and you can pray about your sins?
   4. Smoking cigarettes isn't a sin. There are many worse habits you could have..

Question 2

A client is seeking care for weight gain and foamy, dark urine. During data collection, the nurse learns that the client was ill with a severe sore throat 4 weeks ago and was treated.

Which of the following statements by the client suggests a teaching plan by the nurse? 1. I have been trying to get plenty of rest since I have been sick..
   2. I felt better after one week of the antibiotics, so I stopped taking them..
   3. I have changed to a more nutritious diet..
   4. I have gained weight in the last two weeks..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

paavo

Answer to Question 1

2. When you started smoking cigarettes, we didn't know about the problems they cause. It is not your fault..

Rationale:
This client is in distress and is seeking forgiveness. The nurse should offer this forgiveness and a reason the forgiveness is valid. If the nurse tells the client that it is too late to do anything about the problem, there is a possibility that distress will increase. Suggesting that the hospital chaplain be called for prayer reinforces that smoking cigarettes is a sin. Saying there are worse habits minimizes the client's concerns and does not offer forgiveness.

Answer to Question 2

2. I felt better after one week of the antibiotics, so I stopped taking them..

Rationale:
The client probably had strep throat and did not take the full course of antibiotics, which accounts for the current symptoms that indicate glomerulonephritis. The nurse teaches this client about the importance of taking medications as prescribed to prevent further complications of a disease. Resting when ill is appropriate as is changing to a more nutritious diet. Gaining weight would support the nurse's suspicion that the client has glomerulonephritis.

ashley

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

bbburns21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

Malaria mortality rates are falling. Increased malaria prevention and control measures have greatly improved these rates. Since 2000, malaria mortality rates have fallen globally by 60% among all age groups, and by 65% among children under age 5.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library