This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient is legally blind in both eyes. Which of the following statements is most appropriate for ... (Read 57 times)

tsand2

The patient is legally blind in both eyes. Which of the following statements is most appropriate for the nurse to make to the patient regarding providing the patient with assistance?

a. I will walk in front of you, and you can hold onto my belt.
  b. I know that you must need me to be your sighted guide to get around in this facility.
  c. I will warn you of upcoming curbs or stairs.
  d. I will get you a wheelchair so that I can move you around safely.

Question 2

In the course of nursing practice, a nurse may be liable for actions that constitute an unintentional tort. Which one of the following is an example of an unintentional tort?

a. Physical restraint of a patient who refuses care
  b. Taking photos of a patient's surgical wounds without the patient's permission
  c. The patient falling and being injured as a result of side rails being left down
  d. Talking about a patient's history of sexually transmitted infections

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tandmlomax84

Answer to Question 1

C

Feedback
A To assist the patient who is legally blind, the nurse should walk one-half step ahead and slightly to the side of the visually impaired person. The patient can place his or her hand on the nurse's forearm.
B I know that you must need me to be your sighted guide to get around in this facility, is not the most appropriate response. The patient may need orientation to the environment and extra time, but should not be made to feel dependent on the nurse. Often, patients who have sensory impairments can help themselves, and it is essential that they do so for self-esteem.
C To assist the patient who is legally blind, the nurse should warn the patient when approaching doorways or narrow spaces, including upcoming curbs or stairs.
D Placing the patient in a wheelchair is not the best response. The patient who is able should be encouraged to ambulate.

Answer to Question 2

C

Feedback
A Physically restraining a patient who refuses care would be an example of assault and battery
B Taking photos of a patient's surgical wounds without the patient's permission is an example of invasion of privacy
C An unintentional tort is an unintended wrongful act against another person that produces injury or harm. An example of an unintentional tort would be leaving the side rails down, which causes the patient's fall and injury.
D Talking about a patient's history of sexually transmitted infections would fall under the category of invasion of privacy. Personal information about the patient should be kept confidential.

tsand2

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
:D TYSM

xoxo123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library