Author Question: A registered nurse forgot to put the siderails up for a confused patient. The patient fell out of ... (Read 80 times)

strangeaffliction

A registered nurse forgot to put the siderails up for a confused patient. The patient fell out of bed and fractured his hip. The patient sues and wins a judgment (award) for 2 million.

The nurse has an occurrence policy with double limit coverage of 3 million/10 million that covered the time period when the incident occurred. The statement that best describes the nurse's situation is that her insurance policy will do which of the following?
  a. Not cover her
  b. Pay 4 million
  c. Pay 2 million
  d. Pay 75 of the 2 million

Question 2

You are caring for an alert, oriented 47-year-old patient who is recovering from abdominal surgery. The patient becomes angry and upset and says, I'm leaving this hospital. Remove my IV and surgical drains or I will do it myself.

To keep him from removing his lines and leaving the hospital, you apply bilateral wrist restraints until you can contact the physician for an order for patient restraint. This is an example of which of the following?
  a. Assault and battery
  b. Felony
  c. False imprisonment
  d. Quasi-intentional tort

momtoalll

Answer to Question 1

C
An occurrence policy will cover those claims that occurred during the time the policy was in effect. The policy will pay up to 3 million per claim; because the amount awarded does not exceed this, the nurse is covered.

Answer to Question 2

C
False imprisonment involves an intentional or willful detention of a patient without consent or authority to do so. Restraining a patient without consent is another form of civil false imprisonment. Competent patients have a right to leave an institution, even if it is harmful to their health. Whenever possible, have the person sign a form stating that he is aware that he is leaving against medical advice.