This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Several hospitalized clients have an order for a laxative as needed for constipation. To which ... (Read 16 times)

Brittanyd9008

Several hospitalized clients have an order for a laxative as needed for constipation. To which client would the nurse expect to administer a laxative?

1. A client who had a bowel movement yesterday and one the day before but not yet today
  2. A client who has not had a bowel movement in 4 days
  3. A client who did not have a bowel movement today, but had one yesterday
  4. A client who has daily bowel movements that are formed

Question 2

A client is being seen in a GI clinic. Which statement by the client suggests a diagnosis of constipation?

1. I have only had one bowel movement every other day for the past week.
  2. I have been having trouble with pain, bloating, and gas. My last bowel movement was 4 days ago.
  3. I haven't had a bowel movement today, but I had one yesterday.
  4. I feel like I am constipated. Please give me a laxative.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

phuda

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: This client is not likely to have constipation, as the definition of constipation is two or fewer bowel movements per week.
Rationale 2: This client is likely constipated, as the definition of constipation is two or fewer bowel movements per week.
Rationale 3: This client is not likely to have constipation, as the definition of constipation is two or fewer bowel movements per week.
Rationale 4: This client is not likely to have constipation, as the definition of constipation is two or fewer bowel movements per week.
Global Rationale: The client most in need of a laxative is the one who has not had a bowel movement in four days. The other clients are experiencing more frequent bowel movements.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: This might be normal for the client, as the normal range is two or three bowel movements per day to one per week.
Rationale 2: The client is reporting symptoms of constipation (pain, bloating, and gas) and the last bowel movement of 4 days ago.
Rationale 3: This might be normal for the client, as the normal range is from two or three bowel movements per day to one per week.
Rationale 4: The client is not necessarily experiencing constipation. The client's definition of constipation might consist of decreased frequency of bowel movements, but the normal range is two or three bowel movements per day to one per week.
Global Rationale: The client is reporting symptoms of constipation (pain, bloating, and gas) and the last bowel movement of 4 days ago. It would be reasonable to suspect constipation. Bowel movement frequency is individual, so stools every other day do not indicate constipation. Feeling constipated is the second best answer, but there are no other symptoms provided.

Brittanyd9008

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

skipfourms123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library