This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse teaches a client about lisinopril (Prinivil), and evaluates that additional teaching is ... (Read 35 times)

Yolanda

The nurse teaches a client about lisinopril (Prinivil), and evaluates that additional teaching is required when the client makes which statement?

1. It takes a while for this medication to take effect.
  2. I don't need to worry about having blood tests done.
  3. I will avoid using salt substitutes for seasoning.
  4. I will monitor my blood pressure until my next appointment.

Question 2

A client who is diagnosed with heart failure is prescribed digoxin (Lanoxin). Prior to discharge, what will the best teaching plan of the nurse include?

1. If you miss a dose, take two doses.
  2. Report mental changes such as euphoria.
  3. Stop the medication if your pulse is 56.
  4. Report a weight gain of two or more pounds per day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ecabral0

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: It takes a while for lisinopril (Prinivil) to become effective.
Rationale 2: The use of ACE inhibitors can lead to neutropenia, and the client should be monitored for this side effect by having the absolute neutrophil count (ANC) measured.
Rationale 3: Potassium should be limited to avoid hyperkalemia.
Rationale 4: Blood pressure should be monitored to assess effectiveness of the medication.
Global Rationale: The use of ACE inhibitors can lead to neutropenia, and the client should be monitored for this side effect by having the absolute neutrophil count (ANC) measured. It takes a while for lisinopril (Prinivil) to become effective. Potassium should be limited to avoid hyperkalemia. Blood pressure should be monitored to assess effectiveness of the medication.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Clients should not take a double dose; this is considered an overdose and could lead to toxicity.
Rationale 2: Mental depression is more likely to occur than is euphoria.
Rationale 3: If the pulse is 56, the client should notify the health care provider, and not stop the medication unless directed to do so.
Rationale 4: Weight gain could indicate fluid retention and a worsening of heart failure.
Global Rationale: Weight gain could indicate fluid retention and a worsening of heart failure. Clients should not take a double dose; this is considered an overdose and could lead to toxicity. Mental depression is more likely to occur than is euphoria. If the pulse is 56, the client should notify the health care provider, and not stop the medication unless directed to do so.

Yolanda

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

tandmlomax84

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library