This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which is the laxative of choice for an older patient who is in the end stage of Alzheimer's disease ... (Read 12 times)

luvbio

Which is the laxative of choice for an older patient who is in the end stage of Alzheimer's disease and requires a daily laxative?

a. Emollient
  b. Stimulant
  c. Fecal softener
  d. Bulk forming

Question 2

A friend reports using loperamide (Imodium) for continual diarrhea for a week since returning home from a vacation outside the country. Which is the nurse's best response?

a. There are some other over-the-counter products available for diarrhea, such as Kaopectate (bismuth subsalicylate).
  b. I'd stop taking the Imodium and go in to see a health care provider immediately. You may have an infection in your intestinal tract.
  c. If you're not running a temperature, I wouldn't worry. That happens to many people when they travel.
  d. As long as you can drink plenty of fluids, I'm sure the diarrhea will go away once you're back in a normal routine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jaymee143

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Bulk-forming laxatives are considered the safest laxative for routine use because they cause water to be retained within the stool, which increases bulk, and stimulates peristalsis. Emollient laxatives reduce muscle tone and decrease peristalsis over time. Stimulant laxatives can cause cramping and should not be used on a regular basis. Fecal softeners are not laxatives.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Diarrhea may be a defense mechanism to rid the body of infecting organisms or irritants. Diarrhea is usually self-limiting and should not be suppressed with over-the-counter products. It is safest for people who are suffering from diarrhea after traveling outside the country to visit their health care provider, who can determine whether an infection is present.

luvbio

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Wow, this really help

steff9894

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library