Author Question: How to find initial velocity of projectile? (Read 977 times)

Millan

I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while. Please help.  An object (9kg) is launched off a building (442m height) and lands 500m away from base of building. At what velocity was the object launched?

Melanie

How was it launched? Horizontally (angle of zero degrees)? or at some angle?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hungry!

Answer, I think --> 52.7 m/s

I'm guessing that this is a horizontal launch, where ? = 0° ?  If not, I can't answer this problem, and the answer I gave is meaningless.

Given:

m = 9 kg
H = 442 m
R = 500 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2 (Earth gravity, mean)

Mass doesn't matter unless you're including air resistance, which I don't think you are.

Vo = R * SQRT { g / 2H }

Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 2 * (442 m) ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 884 m ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { 0.0111 /s^2 }
Vo = (500 m) * (0.105 /s)
Vo = 52.7 m/s

Jones

If you want to solve it without jumping to a formula, you can do this:
Find the time that it would take for the object to fall from the top of the building. I'm assuming it was released horizontally, so initial vertical velocity is zero. So,
y2 = y1+Vo t+1/2 g t^2
V0 is 0 and y2-y1 is the height H (just the difference in y values).
H=1/2gt^2
t = sqrt (2H/g)

Since the object was released horizontally, there is no acceleration in that direction.
V=d/t = d/sqrt(2H/g)
=500/sqrt(2*442/9.8)
=52.6 m/s

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library