This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 64-year-old patient just returned from surgery. She is breathing rapidly and moving constantly in ... (Read 61 times)

joe

A 64-year-old patient just returned from surgery. She is breathing rapidly and moving constantly in bed. She states, I am scared and I hurt so much. What would be an appropriate intervention? Select all that apply.

a. Immediately notify the surgeon of these data (physical symptoms and patient's statement).
  b. State calmly, I am going to do everything I can to make you more comfortable.
  c. Tell the patient you would like to help her calm down and take some deep breaths.
  d. Ask the nursing assistive personnel to stay with the patient while you get an analgesic for her.
  e. Turn on the television to distract her from the pain and anxiety.

Question 2

The nurse meets with a patient with chronic pain who has tried a new program to manage pain. On a scale of 1 to 10, she reports pain reduction from an 8 to a 5. What questions would the nurse ask to further evaluate the effectiveness of this program?

Select all that apply.
  a. Does this reduction in pain allow you to perform daily activities?
  b. Are you satisfied with the degree of pain relief you have achieved?
  c. May I review what you have recorded in your pain journal?
  d. Is the pain less than before you started the program?
  e. How has your family responded to the reduction in your pain?