This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A pedophile tells the nurse, I feel so guilty and shameful over molesting a child. My family will be ... (Read 29 times)

PhilipSeeMore

A pedophile tells the nurse, I feel so guilty and shameful over molesting a child. My family will be so disgusted with me. I could save them from embarrassment if I were gone. What is the nurse's priority action?

a. Set limits on the patient's disclosures.
  b. Further assess the patient's suicidality.
  c. Administer a PRN medication for anxiety.
  d. Explore the patient's feelings of guilt and shame.

Question 2

A community health nurse visits an older adult whose spouse died 6 months ago. Three vodka bottles are in the trash. The person says, I get lonely and drink a little to help me forget. Select the nurse's most therapeutic intervention.

a. Teach the person about alcoholism, and suggest other coping strategies.
  b. Request a mental health consultation to assess for alcohol dependency.
  c. Advise the person not to drink alone, because the risks for injury increase.
  d. Arrange for the person to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting for older adults.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

B
Patients who describe guilt, shame, and the idea that others would be better off without them are suicide risks. The nurse should further assess the patient's comments, document, report the data, and consider the need for suicide precautions. The other options do not fully consider the primary issue of patient safety.

Answer to Question 2

D
This patient needs help with alcohol abuse as well as social involvement. The AA meeting for older adults will provide an opportunity for peer bonding and reminiscing as well as strategies for coping with stress without abusing alcohol. The other options are unnecessary or ineffective.

PhilipSeeMore

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Wow, this really help

JCABRERA33

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library