This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A pedophile tells the nurse, I feel so guilty and shameful over molesting a child. My family will be ... (Read 34 times)

PhilipSeeMore

A pedophile tells the nurse, I feel so guilty and shameful over molesting a child. My family will be so disgusted with me. I could save them from embarrassment if I were gone. What is the nurse's priority action?

a. Set limits on the patient's disclosures.
  b. Further assess the patient's suicidality.
  c. Administer a PRN medication for anxiety.
  d. Explore the patient's feelings of guilt and shame.

Question 2

A community health nurse visits an older adult whose spouse died 6 months ago. Three vodka bottles are in the trash. The person says, I get lonely and drink a little to help me forget. Select the nurse's most therapeutic intervention.

a. Teach the person about alcoholism, and suggest other coping strategies.
  b. Request a mental health consultation to assess for alcohol dependency.
  c. Advise the person not to drink alone, because the risks for injury increase.
  d. Arrange for the person to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting for older adults.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

B
Patients who describe guilt, shame, and the idea that others would be better off without them are suicide risks. The nurse should further assess the patient's comments, document, report the data, and consider the need for suicide precautions. The other options do not fully consider the primary issue of patient safety.

Answer to Question 2

D
This patient needs help with alcohol abuse as well as social involvement. The AA meeting for older adults will provide an opportunity for peer bonding and reminiscing as well as strategies for coping with stress without abusing alcohol. The other options are unnecessary or ineffective.

PhilipSeeMore

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

juliaf

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library