This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with asthma has been using a nicotine transdermal 24-hour patch for 3 weeks to quit ... (Read 38 times)

fnuegbu

A patient with asthma has been using a nicotine transdermal 24-hour patch for 3 weeks to quit smoking. The patient reports having difficulty sleeping. What action will the nurse take?

a. Ask the provider for a prescription for Nicotrol NS.
  b. Recommend removing the patch at bedtime.
  c. Suggest using an 18-hour patch instead.
  d. Tell the patient to stop the patch and join a support group.

Question 2

The nurse is discussing smoking cessation with a nurse colleague who smokes. Which statement indicates a readiness to quit smoking?

a. I don't smoke around my children or inside the house.
  b. I want to stop smoking, but I will need help to do it.
  c. I will quit so my co-workers will stop harassing me about it.
  d. If I cut down gradually, I should be able to quit.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Kjones0604

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should try an 18-hour patch to help with sleep. Nicotrol is not a good option for patients with asthma.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients exhibit readiness when they state a desire to quit along with a request for professional assistance. Other factors, such as children or co-workers, do not indicate a desire to quit.

fnuegbu

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

shailee

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library