This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with asthma has been using a nicotine transdermal 24-hour patch for 3 weeks to quit ... (Read 42 times)

fnuegbu

A patient with asthma has been using a nicotine transdermal 24-hour patch for 3 weeks to quit smoking. The patient reports having difficulty sleeping. What action will the nurse take?

a. Ask the provider for a prescription for Nicotrol NS.
  b. Recommend removing the patch at bedtime.
  c. Suggest using an 18-hour patch instead.
  d. Tell the patient to stop the patch and join a support group.

Question 2

The nurse is discussing smoking cessation with a nurse colleague who smokes. Which statement indicates a readiness to quit smoking?

a. I don't smoke around my children or inside the house.
  b. I want to stop smoking, but I will need help to do it.
  c. I will quit so my co-workers will stop harassing me about it.
  d. If I cut down gradually, I should be able to quit.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Kjones0604

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient should try an 18-hour patch to help with sleep. Nicotrol is not a good option for patients with asthma.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients exhibit readiness when they state a desire to quit along with a request for professional assistance. Other factors, such as children or co-workers, do not indicate a desire to quit.

fnuegbu

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

Sarahjh

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library