Author Question: How do you find the number of Valence electron? (Read 566 times)

mcmcdaniel

How do you determine the number of Valence electron especially for the transition metals. Is there an equation i have to do?

folubunmi

Electron configuration.

Then the last shell's sum of the orbitals electrons you get determines the number of valence electrons.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Mimi

Valence Electrons are the Electrons available for bonding.

Having said that, the periodic table is itself the best way to determine the number of Valence Electrons in an particular element. Electrons are arranged in Orbits (I dont know how much knowledge you have in Chemistry - They usually tell you different things regarding the structure of an Atom to understand the basics, then they tell you the truth).

An orbit is simply a volume of space in which a particular electron exists. There are different orbits based on different energy levels - further the electron from the nucleus lower is the energy level of its Orbit.

Now, there are various energy levels and some overlap each other.
For Group 1 Elements, there is 1 Valence Electron
For Group 2 Elements, there are 2 Valence Electrons

For Group 13 Elements, there are 3 Valence Electrons
And so on until Group 18 which have 8 Valence Electrons.

Now I deliberately left out Group 3 - 12 because they have the overlap in energy level.
Now the overlap is between the orbits: s & d

Normally it goes s, p, d with the energy level infront - so 1s, 1p, 1d and then 2s, 2p, 2d. Transition metals will have something like this at a certain energy level 4s, 3d. Wierd huh?

The 4s is the highest level hence the only one that should count. Valence eletrons are the one that are furtherst / outmost orbit and hence highest level. in the 4s3d case, its only the electrons in the 4s that count.

Hope that helps and I didn't confuse you. If it did I'd do my best to explain it better.

Awilson837

count the electrons in the s and p sublevels. or just count the "outer" boxes on your periodic table. if you look at it, there's a big block of elements in the middle. ignore those! if you count the outer boxes only, you'll notice they add up to eight. so a noble gas, such as neon which is in the eighth group, will have all 8 valence electrons, which is the most any element can have. chlorine, which is in group 7, has 7 valence electrons.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library